Conferences and Workshops
- Michael Blackstock and Rodger Lea. 2016. FRED: A Hosted Data Flow Platform for the IoT. In Proceedings of the 1st International Workshop on Mashups of Things and APIs (MOTA ‘16). ACM, New York, NY, USA, Article 2 , 5 pages. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/3007203.3007214
- Nam K. Giang, Rodger Lea, Michael Blackstock, and Victor C. M. Leung. 2016. On Building Smart City IoT Applications: a Coordination-based Perspective. In Proceedings of the 2nd International Workshop on Smart (SmartCities ‘16). ACM, New York, NY, USA, , Article 7 , 6 pages. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/3009912.3009919
- Nam Ky Giang, Michael Blackstock, Rodger Lea, Victor C.M. Leung, Developing IoT Applications in the Fog: a Distributed Dataflow Approach, Internet of Things Conference 2015 (IoT 2015), October 2015, Seol, S. Korea.
- Rodger Lea, Michael Blackstock, Nam Giang, and David Vogt Smart Cities: Engaging users and developers to foster innovation ecosystems. Smart Cities 2015 in International Workshop on Smart Cities: People, Technology and Data in conjunction with 2015 ACM International Joint Conference on Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing (UbiComp 2015) September 7, 2015, in Osaka, JAPAN.
- Nam Ky Giang, Michael Blackstock, Rodger Lea, and Victor C. M Leung. Distributed Data Flow: a Programming Model for the Crowdsourced Internet of Things. In Proceedings of the Doctoral Symposium of the 16th International Middleware Conference (Middleware Doct Symposium ‘15)
- Rodger Lea and Michael Blackstock, CityHub:a cloud based IoT platform for Smart Cities. Cloud Computing Technology and Science (CloudCom), 2014 IEEE 6th International Conference on. IEEE. (In Press)
- Michael Blackstock, Rodger Lea, Toward a Distributed Data Flow Platform for the Web of Things, at the Web of Things Workshop held at IoT 2014, October 6–8, 2014 in Cambridge, MA, USA.
- Michael Blackstock, Rodger Lea, IoT Interoperability: A Hub-based Approach, The 4th International Conference on the Internet of Things (IoT 2014), October 6–8, 2014 in Cambridge, MA, USA. (To be published).
- Rodger Lea and Michael Blackstock. 2014. Smart Cities: an IoT-centric Approach. In Proceedings of the 2014 International Workshop on Web Intelligence and Smart Sensing (IWWISS ‘14), Pierre Maret and Satoshi Honda (Eds.). ACM, New York, NY, USA
- Roberto Calderon, Michael Blackstock, Rodger Lea, Sidney Fels, Andre O Bueno and Junia Anacleto, Lessons learned developing a framework for prototyping multi-display applications using web technologies. Third International Symposium of Pervasive Displays, June 3 and 4th, Copenhagen Denmark.
- Ricardo Aparecido Perez de Almeida, Michael Blackstock, Rodger Lea, Roberto Calderon,Helio Crestana Guardia and Antonio Francisco do Prado, Thing broker: a twitter for things. Web of Things Workshop 2013 In Proceedings of the 2013 ACM conference on Pervasive and ubiquitous computing adjunct publication, New York, NY, USA, 2013.
- Michael Blackstock and Rodger Lea, Toward interoperability in a web of things. Web of Things Workshop 2013 In Proceedings of the 2013 ACM conference on Pervasive and ubiquitous computing adjunct publication, New York, NY, USA, 2013.
- Noreen Kamal, Sidney Fels, Mike Blackstock, Kendall Ho The ABCs of Designing Social Networks for Health Behaviour Change: The VivoSpace Social Network. In Advances in Network Analysis and its Applications, pages 323-348, 2013.
- Michael Blackstock, Rodger Lea. IoT Mashups with the WoTKit, Internet of Things Conference 2012 (IoT 2012), October 2012, Wuxi, China, winner of Best Paper.
- Michael Blackstock, Rodger Lea. WoTKit: A Lightweight Toolkit for the Web of Things, Web of Things (WoT) workshop at Pervasive 2012, June 2012, New Castle, UK. winner of Best Paper. Slides
- Noreen Kamal, Sid Fels, Michael Blackstock, Kendall Ho. VivoSpace: Towards Behavior Change Using Social Gaming, ICEC 2011, LNCS 6972, 319-330.
- Blackstock, Michael, Lea, Rodger and Friday, Adrian, Uniting Online Social Networks with Places and Things Web of Things (WoT) workshop at Pervasive 2011, June 2011, San Francisco, USA Slides.
- Noreen Kamal, Sidney Fels and Michael Blackstock, Personal Health Informatics: What is the role for online social networks? Personal Informatics and HCI: Design, Theory, and Social Implications Workshop at CHI 2011, Vancouver, Canada.
- Michael Blackstock, Nima Kaviani, Rodger Lea, Adrian Friday, MAGIC Broker 2: An Open and Extensible Platform for the Internet of Things, Internet of Things 2010 Conference, November 29, 2010, Tokyo, Japan.
- Bardia Mohabbati, Nima Kaviani, Rodger Lea, Dragan Gasevic, Marek Hatala, Michael Blackstock, ReCoIn: A Framework for Dynamic Integration of Remote Services in a Service-Oriented Component Model, IEEE APSCC 2009: Asia Pacific Services Computing Conference Singapore Dec 7-11, 2009
- Kan Cai, Michael Blackstock, Michael J. Feeley, Charles Krasic, Non-Intrusive, Dynamic Interference Detection for 802.11 Networks, ACM IMC 09 Internet Measurement Conference, Chicago, IL Nov 4-6, 2009
- Matthias Finke, Anthony Tang, Rock Leung, Mike Blackstock, Lessons Learned: Game Design for Large Public Displays, Digital Interactive Media in Entertainment and Arts (DIMEA 2008), Athens, Greece, Sept 2008.
- Michael Blackstock, Rodger Lea, Charles Krasic, Evaluation and Analysis of a Common Model for Ubiquitous Systems Interoperability. 6th International conference on Pervasive computing. Pervasive 2008, Sydney, Australia, May 2008.
- Anthony Tang, Mattias Finke, Michael Blackstock, Rock Leung, Meghan Deutscher, Rodger Lea. Designing for Bystanders: Reflections on Building a Public Digital Forum. Proceedings of the SIGCHI conference on Human factors in computing systems (CHI 2008). (April 5-10, Florence, Italy). ACM Press.
- Anthony Tang, Mattias Finke, Michael Blackstock, Rock Leung, Meghan Deutscher, Gavin Tain, Crystal Giesbrecht (to appear). Designing for Bystanders: Reflections on Building a Public Digital Forum To appear in Designing and Evaluating Mobile Phone-Based Interaction with Public Displays Workshop, CHI 2008, Florence, Italy, April 5-10, 2008
- Aiman Erbad, Michael Blackstock, Adrian Friday, Rodger Lea, Jalal Al-Muhtadi, MAGIC Broker: A Middleware Toolkit for Interactive Public Displays Middleware Support for Pervasive Computing Workshop (PerWare 2008) at IEEE PerCom 2008 in Hong Kong, March 17 or 21, 2008
- Kan Cai, Reza Lotun, Michael Blackstock, Junfang Wang, Michael Feeley, Charles Krasic. A Wired Router Can Eliminate 802.11 Unfairness, But It’s Hard 9th IEEE Workshop on Mobile Computing Systems and Applications (HotMobile 2008), Napa Valley, CA, February 25-26, 2008
- Matthias Finke, Michael Blackstock, Rodger Lea. Deployment Experience Toward Core Abstractions for Context Aware Applications. 2nd European Conference on Smart Sensing and Context (EuroSSC), Oct 23-25, 2007 in Kendal, UK.
- Kan Cai, Michael Blackstock, Reza Lotun, Michael J. Feeley, Charles Krasic and Junfang Wang. Wireless Unfairness: Alleviate MAC Congestion First! The Second ACM International Workshop on Wireless Network Testbeds, Experimental Evaluation and Characterization (WiNTECH 2007) in conjunction with ACM MobiCom 2007. Montreal, Canada, Sept 2007.
- Jeffrey, P., Blackstock, M., Finke, M., Tang, A., Lea R., Deutscher, M., Miyaoku, K. (2007). Chasing the Fugitive on Campus: Designing a Location-based Game for Collaborative Play. Loading Journal 1(1), Selected Papers from special Issue from Canadian Games Studies Association (CGSA) Workshop, September 21-24, 2006, York University, Toronto, Canada. May 2007
- Michael Blackstock, Rodger Lea, and Charles Krasic, Managing an Integrated Ubicomp Environment using Ontologies and Reasoning. presented at the Context Management and Reasoning (CoMoRea) Workshop 2007, at PerCom ‘07, White Plains, NY, March 2007
- Michael Blackstock, Rodger Lea, and Charles Krasic, Toward Wide Area Interaction with Ubiquitous Computing Environments. 1st European Conference on Smart Sensing and Context, Enchede, The Netherlands, October 2006.
- Michael Blackstock, Rodger Lea, and Charles Krasic, Toward a Shared Model for Wide Area Interoperability of Ubiquitous Computing Environments. System Support for Ubiquitous Computing Workshop (UBISYS) 2006 at Ubicomp 2006, Orange County, CA, September 2006. [PDF]
- Blackstock; Michael A., Watkins; Andrew D., Spaay; Henk, George; Mathieu P., Sawadsky; Nicholas J., 8909710 - Method for discovering and discriminating devices on local collaborative networks to facilitate collaboration among users. for Colligo Networks. Granted December 9, 2014
- Bartram, Linda Ruth, Blackstock, Michael, Spaay, Henk, 8725865 - Method for context based discovery and filtering of portable collaborative networks. for Colligo Networks Granted May 13, 2014.
- Sawadsky, Nicholas Justin, Shi, Daniel (Yilin), Block, Andrew Edward, Blackstock, Michael Anthony, Spaay, Henricus Gerardus, Rodriguez, Desiree Paula, 7366743 - Synchronous peer-to-peer multipoint database synchronization for Colligo Networks, Granted April 29, 2008.
- Bartram, Linda Ruth, Chesser, Mark Miller, Sawadsky, Nicholas, Schumacher, Steven Joseph, Blackstock, Michael, 7392375 - Peer-to-peer authentication for real-time collaboration for Colligo Networks, Granted June 24, 2008.
- Watkins, Andrew D., Blackstock, Michael A, Bartram, Linda R., Jinks, Barry, 20090222537 - System And Method For Interactive Instant Networking, for Colligo Networks.
- Bartram, Linda Ruth, Blackstock, Michael Anthony, Spaay, Henk Gerardus Maris, 20070083592 - System and method for distributing shared storage for collaboration across multiple devices for Colligo Networks.
- Blackstock, Michael A., Jinks, Barry, Shuttleworth, Saxon, Spaay, Henk, Inkpen, Kori, Lau, Felix, 20030076353 - Graphical user interface for collaboration Filed Oct. 23, 2001 for Colligo Networks.
Non Refereed Contributions
- N. Kamal, S. Fels, & M. Blackstock. Appeal, Belonging, Commitment (ABC): A framework for healthier living using social networks. NCE GRAND 2011, Vancouver, BC (May 12-14, 2011).
- Aiman Erbad, Michael Blackstock, Adrian Friday, Rodger Lea, Jalal Al-Muhtadi, MAGIC Broker: A Middleware Toolkit for Interactive Public Displays, UBC Computer Science Technical Report TR-2007-22, October 2, 2007. [ PDF ]
- Fabien Girardin, Michael Blackstock, Pierre Dillenbourg, Mattias Finke, Phillip Jeffrey and Nicolas Nova, Issues from Deploying a Pervasive Game on Multiple Sites. discussed at Common Models and Patterns for Pervasive Computing Workshop (CMPPC) 2007, at Pervasive 2007, Toronto Canada, May 2007 [Position Paper PDF ]
- Michael Blackstock, Rodger Lea, and Charles Krasic, Adapting Ubicomp Systems to a Common Model, discussed at Common Models and Patterns for Pervasive Computing Workshop (CMPPC) 2007, at Pervasive 2007, Toronto Canada, May 2007 [Position Paper PDF]
- Jeffrey, P., Blackstock, M., Finke, M., Tang, A., Lea R., Deutscher, M., Miyaoku, K. Chasing the Fugitive on Campus: Designing a Location-based Game for Collaborative Play. In Proceedings of Canadian Games Studies Association (CGSA) Workshop (2006), York University, Toronto, Canada.
- P. Jeffrey, M. Blackstock, M. Deutscher, and R. Lea. (2005). Creating Shared Experiences and Cultural Engagement through Location-Based Play. Computer Games and CSCW workshop. ECSCW 2005, September 18-22, 2005, Paris, France.
- Lyn Bartram, Michael Blackstock, Designing Portable Collaborative Networks. for Colligo Networks, ACM Queue vol. 1, no. 3 - May 2003. [Article (HTML)]
- Michael Blackstock, Introducing Bluetooth. for SynchroPoint Wireless, BC TIA Monitor, December 2000. [Article (PDF)]
- Aiman Erbad, Michael Blackstock, Rodger Lea. REST Broker: Middleware Support for Interactive Public Large Screen Display Applications Poster at 2nd European Conference on Smart Sensing and Context(EuroSSC), Oct 23-25, 2007 in Kendal, UK.
- Kan Cai, Michael Blackstock, Reza Lotun, Michael J. Feeley and Charles Krasic, Toward Fair Wireless Experience in Large 802.11 Networks Using Real-time Traffic Shapers. Poster for HotMobile 2007, Tucson AZ, Feb 26-27, 2007
- Michael Blackstock, Scalable Location-Based Service Discovery Using a DHT. Poster for MobiSys 2005, Seattle WA, June 6-8 [Poster (PDF)] [abstract (PDF)]
- Michael Blackstock, Platform for Context-Aware Ad Hoc Network Applications. Poster for ASI Exchange, March 2004. [Poster (PDF)] [abstract (PDF)]
- Lyn Bartram and Michael Blackstock, Collaboration is not an application: design principles of portable collaborative networks. Colligo Networks & Kori Inkpen, Dalhousie University, Poster for CSCW 2002, Nov. 16-20 2002.
Technical Notes and Specifications
- Bluetooth Network Encapsulation Protocol (BNEP) Specification Contributor for SynchroPoint Wireless (previous name of Colligo Networks) as a Bluetooth SIG member.
- Personal Area Networking (PAN) Profile Contributor for SynchroPoint Wireless as a Bluetooth SIG member. [Specification (PDF)]
- Ben Manuto for Apple Computer, Mike Blackstock, Printer Direct Mode APIs for Macintosh Printer Drivers. for Apple Computer, GDT Softworks, February 1996 [Apple Legacy System Technote 1013]
Michael Blackstock, A Common Model for Ubiquitous Computing. Ph.D. Thesis, University of British Columbia, 2008. [Paper (PDF)]
Michael Blackstock, Markup for Transformation to Mobile Device Presentation Markups using XML. M. Sc. Thesis. Simon Fraser University, 2001. [Paper (PDF)]